The IYRS campus sits on 3 harborfront acres in the heart of Newport, Rhode Island. The campus houses four academic, yacht restoration, and administration buildings as well as a working marina. IYRS is walking distance to world-class museums, restaurants, beaches, boating, green space, and more.
Built in 1903, Restoration Hall was Newport’s original electric generating plant. IYRS has converted this 18,000 SF historic space on the Newport waterfront into an expansive makers' shop where the Boatbuilding & Restoration program is housed. Here students learn the fine woodworking and craftsmanship skills they apply to their yacht restoration projects. An elevated catwalk allows visitors to observe the teaching and yacht restorations in progress.
Built in 2017, the Brooks Building is a 20,000 SF space that houses IYRS’ modern manufacturing programs: Composites Technology, Digital Modeling & Fabrication, and Marine Systems, as well as technology-equipped classrooms and faculty offices.
The first floor houses the Marine Systems program. The Composites Technology and Digital Modeling & Fabrication programs are located on the second floor of The Brooks Building.
IYRS restored the John Mecray Aquidneck Mill Building in 2009. Originally built in 1831, it was one of Newport’s first and only cotton mills. At its height of factory productivity, it housed 9,632 spindles and 175 workers. The building has been renovated in a modern industrial style and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. IYRS's renovation of the building won the 2009 Newport Restoration Foundation Doris Duke Historic Preservation Award and the 2013 Grow Smart RI Outstanding Smart Growth Project Award.
IYRS staff offices are located on the first floor of this building. The Kristal and Joe Dockery Welcome Center welcomes prospective students and visitors here.
On the fourth floor is the Edward W. Kane and James Gubelmann IYRS Maritime Library. The only library of its kind in Rhode Island, its collection includes marine-related books, periodicals, historic yachting trophies, nautical artwork, and other artifacts related to Newport's and New England’s maritime heritage. It is a valuable resource for students, scholars, and visitors.
The IYRS marina occupies prime property on the Newport Harbor waterfront. It welcomes visiting yachts from around the world, but is perhaps best known as the location from which IYRS students launch their newly restored boats on Graduation & Launch Day each year.
Coronet is an historic 133-foot schooner first launched in 1885. She was one of the most elegant of her day, featuring stained glass doors, a marble staircase, mahogany paneled staterooms, and a piano in the main salon. Built as a vessel for long voyages, she became famous in 1887 when her owner challenged willing competitors to a transatlantic race. Only one was brave enough to take up the challenge and Coronet won handily. The New York Times devoted its entire front page to the win on March 28, 1887. Coronet is owned by Coronet Restoration Partners with IYRS alumni leading the restoration team.
Visitors can observe the restoration of Coronet at the waterfronton the IYRS campus.