Apply for Financial Aid
U.S. students applying for financial aid of any type must submit the FAFSA here. Use the IYRS school code 037323.
You'll need to have this information available:
- Social Security number
- Most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and any other records of earnings. You may be able to transfer this information automatically using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in the FAFSA.
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
The FAFSA opens on October 1 of each year for the following school year.
Questions? Review our Federal Financial Aid FAQ.
- IYRS Alumni Scholarships
- IYRS Scholarships & Grants - All Programs
- Boatbuilding & Restoration Scholarships
- Composites Technology Scholarships
- Digital Modeling & Fabrication Scholarships
- Marine Systems Scholarships
Funding is awarded to eligible students on a first come, first served basis and students are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Students who submit the FAFSA and IYRS Scholarship Application will automatically be considered for all applicable scholarships and grants awarded through the school.
IYRS alumni who have successfully completed at least one full-time program are eligible for an IYRS Alumni Scholarship for a future full-time program(s).
1. Alumni seeking scholarship funding must submit the Alumni Scholarship Application HERE and do not need to submit the standard scholarship application.
2. Alumni seeking federal loans or grants must also complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) which can be found here. Use IYRS school code #037323.
- IYRS need-based grants range from $1,000-$7,500
- IYRS President's Scholarship - $15,000 awarded to high school graduates within the last two years with exceptional financial need. Priority given to Rhode Island students.
- van Beuren Charitable Trust Scholarship – $5,000 awarded to a student who is a Rhode Island resident.
- IYRS Alumni Scholarship – a scholarship of 20% of tuition awarded to any alumnus/a who has previously completed at least one IYRS program (scholarship application required).
- Newport Fed Charitable Foundation Scholarship - $7,500 awarded to a Newport County, RI or Washington County, RI resident
- Ocean State Charities Trust Scholarship - $5,000 awarded to a Rhode Island resident
- John Clarke Trust, Bank of America, N.A., Co-Trustee Scholarship - $5,000 awarded to a resident from Aquidneck Island (RI)
Students must meet eligibility criteria which may vary by scholarship or program.
- Antique & Classic Boat Society Scholarship – $3,000 awarded to a student in the Boatbuilding & Restoration program.
- Berkshire Woodworkers Guild Scholarship - $2,500 awarded to a student who exhibits a strong, demonstrable determination to become professional woodworker, including a wooden boatbuilder.
- Boatbuilding & Restoration 50/50 Scholarship – 50% of tuition in the Boatbuilding & Restoration program awarded to one outstanding student with financial need.
- Hope Iselin Goddard Scholarship Fund – $1,500 & up awarded to a female student in the first or second year of the Boatbuilding & Restoration program.
- Marine Trades for Women Scholarship - $5,000 awarded to a female student in the Boatbuilding & Restoration or Marine Systems programs.
- RPM Foundation Scholarship - up to $5,000 awarded to a student in the Boatbuilding & Restoration program.
- Marine Systems 50/50 Scholarship – 50% of tuition in the Marine Systems program awarded to one outstanding student with financial need.
- Marine Trades for Women Scholarship - $5,000 awarded a female student in the Boatbuilding & Restoration or Marine Systems programs
- Safe Harbor Marinas Scholarship - Four scholarships at $5,000 each
Safe Harbor Marinas is proud to support IYRS students pursuing their educational goals. The Safe Harbor Marinas scholarship is intended for students in the Marine Systems program looking to pursue a career in the recreational marine industry. Scholarship recipients are supported through their time at IYRS by getting unparalleled access to SHM leadership. Apply here.
There are many scholarships available through outside organizations which students can pursue.
- Marine & Maritime Scholarship given by the Eastport Yacht Club Foundation supports students from DC, DE, PA, VA, WV pursuing a career in the marine trades.
- Leonard W. & Katherine C. Hayward Memorial Scholarship – sponsored by the Seamen’s Church Institute of Newport, RI, the scholarship supports students of all ages preparing for employment in maritime occupations who reside in Newport County.
- Newport Yacht Club Endowment Fund – administered through the RI Foundation, it supports students attending schools focused on the marine trades in and around Newport and the Narragansett Bay area.
- Concordia Maritime (Bermuda) Ltd. Scholarship - awarded to students pursuing maritime or marine-related careers
- Rhode Island Foundation - scholarships supporting RI residents
- Berkshire Woodworkers Guild Scholarship - supports young men and women studying to become professional woodworkers
- National Marine Representatives Association (NMRA) Scholarship - offers a $3,000 scholarship to an outstanding student pursuing education and a career in the marine trades. High school seniors, and college and vocational students may apply.
- Miss Swinburne Scholarship Fund - provides scholarships in the $1,000-$2,000 range for women living in Newport County with financial need. Preference is given to highly motivated women seeking further education or training to become self-supporting. Students attending a technical or trade school are encouraged to apply. Scholarships can be used for direct support of fees/tuition assistance and/or assistance with support services directly linked to achievement of the student’s education goals. This scholarship is administered through the RI Foundation.
- ABYC Scholarships
- IMEA/NMEA Scholarships
Focused on students who are entering into or currently enrolled in a trade school marine technology program. Applicants should be focused on marine electronics as a specialty within the marine trades.
- Massachusetts Marine Trades Association
- RI Student Loan Authority Scholarships
- Nuts & Bolts Foundation
- Nautical Research Guild
The Nautical Research Guild is proud to support the next generation of nautical historians, archeologists, architects, and builders. Scholarships are available at the undergraduate or trade school level in the areas of nautical history, nautical archeology, naval architecture, and wooden boat building. Applicants must be under 25 years of age. Application Deadline: June 1st (for fall semester) or November 15th (for spring semester).
- Dr. John Manzella Scholarship provides $1000 to a student whose parent or guardian is or has been incarcerated.
By the numbers
On average, 70% of students were IYRS scholarship or grant recipients ('17-'22).