The Program Assistant is responsible for supporting the Boatbuilding & Restoration Faculty. A general knowledge of wooden boatbuilding and woodworking is required and a general ability to work with faculty and students to support the needs of these programs is expected. Primary responsibility will be to assist the faculty in delivery of the Boatbuilding & Restoration (BBR) program. The Program Assistant will assist in executing the BBR curriculum and supporting logistical needs while modeling the work values the students are expected to employ during their time in the program. The role supports the instructors in setting up and maintaining the equipment, tools and materials inventory, and helping maintain shop/lab safety standards for both classes in the program.
General responsibilities are to uphold IYRS standard of craftsmanship and instruction through:
• Participating in curriculum delivery, including development of instructional support materials and shop maintenance for course instruction
• Supporting students during shop exercises with technical information and practical advice.
• Assisting in maintaining shop supplies, including inventorying and ordering material.
• Maintaining of the BBR shops, including ensuring student access to functional tooling, equipment, machinery and supplies.
• Participating in BBR instruction to students during shop times as needed.
• Participating in requisite safety training for staff and students
• Work with faculty and students to maintain clean and orderly shop/lab environments
• Performing other tasks as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
• Minimum 2 years of education, training and/or occupational experience in wooden boatbuilding, wood working/carpentry
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, and the general public
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Computer skills -Microsoft Word/Excel/Power Point with Visio or Rhino a plus
• Ability to handle the daily physical/lifting demands of the job
Reports to the BBR Managing Instructor. To apply, email your resume to Bill Kenyon, Director of Education HERE.