Financial Aid Associate
Financial Aid Associate
Job Type Full-time
IYRS School of Technology & Trades is a non-profit, post-secondary experiential learning institution in Newport, Rhode Island. Our mission is to empowers students through immersive, hands-on learning to realize their full potential in career and in life. We offers four certificate programs for people interested in careers in the marine trades and modern manufacturing. IYRS students are passionate about thinking and working through hands-on learning to develop skills and problem-solving abilities.
IYRS was named a Best Maker School by Newsweek Magazine in 2021.
Purpose of Position
The Financial Aid Associate works in conjunction with the Student Services Department on the financial and compliance needs of the school and our students.
Financial Aid Activities
- Manage Title IV funding, veterans’ education benefits, scholarship awarding, alternative loans, and unemployment benefits.
- Provide financial aid guidance to students and parents.
- Work with students on financial aid applications and prepare the IYRS Financial Aid Summary for students.
- Work with Veteran applicants on their GI Benefits and financial needs.
- Keep detailed records and documentation on individual student applicants and financial aid awarded.
- Complete all trainings necessary for compliance and financial aid distribution.
- Complete all compliance reporting as it relates to institutional, state, and federal regulatory requirements such as the State of Rhode Island, Veterans Affairs, Department of Labor and Training, and Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), and IYRS’s accrediting agencies.
- Work within student database making updates and pulling reports.
- Monitor and implement the district's compliance with state and federal laws.
- Work with departments on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to ensure students are meeting qualitative and quantitative requirements.
- Meet with the Student Success Committee to review student issues and to maintain Graduation & Employment Rates.
- Serve as member of IYRS’s Enrollment Team along with the Admissions and Finance departments, regularly strategizing to meet enrollment goals, and priorities for the allocation of financial aid.
- Participate in IYRS Scholarship awarding.
Additional time is required to support student and organizational activities such as Launch/Graduation Day, Annual Gala, and open houses which may include some evenings and weekends.
Essential KSOCs (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics)
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Natural curiosity and passion for personal growth
- Ability to self-start and flexibility to work independently and as a team
- Exceptional communication skills via phone, email, and in-person
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite and an eagerness to leverage technology
- Experience with data entry and CRM systems
- Confidence working with a diverse demographic of students, staff, faculty, and senior management
- Discretion managing sensitive information and processes
- Associate degree or higher
- Higher education and/or non-profit experience
Each employee at IYRS is expected to demonstrate the following in the regular performance of his or her job duties:
- Commitment to the vision, mission, and values of IYRS
- Adherence to IYRS’s Code of Conduct
- A positive attitude and willingness to contribute productively to the success of the team and the organization
- An understanding of and commitment to the IYRS’s core competencies of accountability, collaboration, communication, institutional values, and service
- Active participation in efforts geared toward directing and improving the overall operations of IYRS, such as strategic planning, organizational development, and performance improvement
- Commitment to acting as an advocate and ambassador for IYRS
- Sense of ownership and pride in personal performance
- Adherence to all existing IYRS policies and procedures
Salary Range and Benefits
- Salary dependent on experience
- Paid holidays, vacation, personal, and sick time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Health Reimbursement Account and Health Savings Account
- Retirement plan with company match
- Employee assistance program