Instructor - Boatbuilding & Restoration
IYRS School of Technology & Trades is a non-profit, post-secondary experiential learning institution in Newport, Rhode Island. Our mission is to empower students through immersive, hands-on learning to realize their full potential in career and in life.
IYRS offers four certificate programs for people interested in careers in the marine trades and modern manufacturing. IYRS students are passionate about thinking and working through hands-on learning to develop skills and problem-solving abilities. IYRS was named a Best Maker School by Newsweek Magazine in 2021.
Primary functions and purpose of this position
The Boatbuilding & Restoration Instructor assists in the delivery of the Boatbuilding & Restoration (BBR) program. The instructor will assist in executing the course curriculum and supporting logistical needs while modeling the work values the students are expected to employ during their time in the program. The role supports the program in setting up and maintaining the equipment, tools, and materials inventory, and helping maintain shop/lab safety standards for both classes in the program.
Uphold IYRS standard of craftsmanship and instruction
- Participate in curriculum delivery, including development of instructional support materials and shop maintenance practices for course instruction
- Support students during shop exercises with technical information and practical advice
- Assist in maintaining shop supplies, including inventorying and ordering material
- Maintain the BBR shops, including ensuring student access to functional tooling, equipment, machinery, and supplies
- Provide instruction to students during shop times
- Participate in requisite safety training for staff and students
- Work with faculty and students to maintain clean and orderly shop/lab environments
- Performing other tasks as assigned
Additional time is required to support student and organizational activities such as Launch/Graduation Day, Annual Gala, and open houses which may include some evenings and weekends.
Essential KSOCs (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics)
- A general knowledge of wooden boatbuilding and woodworking
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to handle the daily physical/lifting demands
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, and the general public
- Proficient in Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint a plus
Educational and Experience Requirements
- Minimum three years of education, training and\or occupational experience in wooden boatbuilding, wood working/carpentry
- Computer skills - Microsoft Word/Excel/Power Point with Visio or Rhino 3d a plus
Each employee at IYRS is expected to demonstrate the following in the regular performance of his or her job duties:
- Commitment to the vision, mission, and values of IYRS
- Adherence to IYRS’s Code of Conduct
- A positive attitude and willingness to contribute productively to the success of the team and the organization.
- An understanding of and commitment to the IYRS’s core competencies of accountability, collaboration, communication, institutional values, and service
- Active participation in efforts geared toward directing and improving the overall operations of IYRS, such as strategic planning, organizational development, and performance improvement.
- Commitment to acting as an advocate and ambassador for IYRS.
- Sense of ownership and pride in personal performance
- Adherence to all existing IYRS policies and procedures
Salary Range and Benefits
- Annual salary commensurate with experience
- Paid holidays, vacation, personal, and sick time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Health Reimbursement Account and/or Health Savings Account
- Retirement plan with company match
- Employee assistance program