About IYRS School of Technology & Trades
IYRS School of Technology & Trades is a non-profit, post-secondary trade school in Newport, Rhode Island. IYRS's mission is to empower students through immersive, hands-on learning to realize their full potential in career and in life.
IYRS offers accredited certificate programs which train students for hands-on careers in the marine trades and modern manufacturing. Newsweek Magazine named IYRS one of the Best Maker Schools in the world in 2021.
IYRS School of Technology & Trades is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) and is approved by the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education.
Job Title: Composites Instructor
Supervisor: Director of Education
Primary functions and purpose of this position
The Composites Instructor is responsible for providing instruction in Composites Technology with focus on the principles of composites materials and fabrication techniques. The goal is to prepare students for a career in the composites industry by achieving proficiency in a range of basic composites processing methods, while modeling the work values, standards of craftsmanship and instruction that are at the core of IYRS’s mission.
• With the Lead Instructor, deliver the Composites Technology curriculum which includes general shop and safety procedures, open molding, vacuum infusion, composites repair, and other processes.
• With the Lead Instructor and other staff, manage the learning environment and mentor students for careers in the composites industry.
• Manage day to day shop operations, including materials inventory, tools, and shop setup. Track student attendance, administer quizzes and tests, maintain classroom and shop schedules.
Essential KSOC’s (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics)
A broad range of composites industry experience with a variety of manufacturing processes and materials applications, ideally including knowledge in the following areas:
• Familiarity with composites manufacturing operations
• Familiarity with basic resin systems and reinforcements, including polyester, vinyl ester, epoxy, glass fiber, carbon fiber and aramid fiber
• Open molding hand layup and gel coat application
• Vacuum bagging techniques
• Vacuum infusion molding and light RTM process techniques
• Repair of general composites – cosmetic and structural
• Basic composites tool making – Plug and mold development
• An understanding of the principles behind processes
Preferred but Not Required
• Basic knowledge of advanced composites prepreg molding
• Basic knowledge of advanced composites repair techniques – prep and hot bonding
• Knowledge of Rhino 7 CAD software
• Ability to operate 3-axis CNC router for pattern (plug) making
• ACMA Certified Composites Technician certificate
Preferred Education and Experience
• Five years of experience in basic open molding, vacuum infusion and basic mold making in the composites industry
• Experience supervising or managing employees
• Participation in required school events, training, and professional development
• Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of IYRS
• Adherence to all policies and procedures in the Employee Handbook
Salary Range: $ 58,000 – $ 65,000 per year
Paid holidays, vacation and sick time; health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings account; retirement plan with match; and employee assistance program
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.