About IYRS School of Technology & Trades
IYRS School of Technology & Trades is a non-profit, post-secondary trade school in Newport, Rhode Island. IYRS's mission is to empower students through immersive, hands-on learning to realize their full potential in career and in life.
IYRS offers accredited certificate programs which train students for hands-on careers in the
marine trades and modern manufacturing. Newsweek Magazine named IYRS one of the Best Maker Schools in the world in 2021.
IYRS School of Technology & Trades is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career
Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) and is approved by the Rhode Island Board of Governors for
Job Title: Composites Instructor
Supervisor: Director of Education
Primary functions and purpose of this position
The Composites Instructor is responsible for providing instruction for career training in
Composites Technology with focus on the principles of composites materials, molding, and
developing proficiencies in a broad range of composites processing methods and techniques,
while modeling the work values, standards of craftsmanship and instruction that are at the core
of IYRS’ mission.
• Help deliver program components include open molding, vacuum infusion processing,
advanced composites processing, and composites repair.
• Experience with CAD (Rhino 7) applications, machine code and operation of CNC router
equipment is a plus.
• Assist with the operation of a comprehensive composites learning workshop, developing
teaching strategies, and identifying methods to deliver effective instruction through a
variety of techniques.
• Work with the lead instructor and other staff to teach and manage the learning
• Apply knowledge of composites manufacturing processes, composites materials and
shop practices to the curriculum.
• Integrate IYRS learning principles into the delivery of technical and practical training
courses to prepare students for careers in the composites industry.
• Coach/mentor students to develop applied skills.
• Evaluate students and provide constructive feedback to promote the habit of
• Interface with composites industry representatives and manufacturers to assess
emerging industry trends and needs and use this information to inform students and
• Engage subject matter experts in the delivery of specialized technical and knowledge-
• Represent and promote IYRS at trade shows and other events as deemed necessary
• Participate in school functions, staff meetings and professional development
• Perform other tasks as assigned
Essential KSOC’s (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics)
• A broad range of composites industry experience with a variety of manufacturing
processes and materials applications Ideally including knowledge of the following areas.
a. Familiarity with basic resin systems and reinforcements, including polyester,
vinyl ester, epoxy, glass fiber, carbon fiber and aramid fiber
b. Open molding process and techniques, including hand lay-up
c. Vacuum bagging techniques
d. Vacuum infusion molding and light RTM process techniques
e. Repair of general composites – cosmetic and structural
f. Basic composites tool making – Plug and mold development
g. An understanding of the principles behind processes
• Additional skills and knowledge that are an asset, but not required:
a. Advanced composites prepreg molding process skills
b. Advanced composites repair techniques – Prep and hot bonding
c. CAD system software use - Rhino 7 – Ability to teach Rhino 7
d. Operation of 3-axis CNC router equipment for pattern (plug) making
• Highly motivated, energetic, and creative professional who demonstrates a ‘can do’
approach and values continuous improvement.
• Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and relationship building skills.
• Excellent instructional skills
• Comfortable communicating technical concepts and demonstrating fundamental shop
• Ability to manage a composites manufacturing environment.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret process documents, technical procedures and
specifications, and regulatory requirements.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Self-starter with a desire to help others succeed.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Minimum of five years’ experience in composites manufacturing, including knowledge
and experience ranging from basic open molding, basic toolmaking and a basic
understanding of the application of advanced composites materials.
• Demonstration of a supervisory or mentoring role in a composite manufacturing
• Experience as an industrial skills instructor is a plus.
• Experience or familiarity with computer aided design (CAD) software (Rhino 7) and the
operation of a three-axis CNC router.
Each employee at IYRS is expected to demonstrate the following in the regular performance of
his or her job duties:
• Participating in requisite safety training for staff and students
• Commitment to the vision, mission, and values of IYRS
• Adherence to IYRS’s Code of Conduct
• A positive attitude and willingness to contribute productively to the success of the team
and the organization
• An understanding of and commitment to the IYRS’s core competencies of accountability,
collaboration, communication, institutional values, and service
• Active participation in efforts geared toward directing and improving the overall
operations of IYRS, such as strategic planning, organizational development, and
• Commitment to acting as an advocate and ambassador for IYRS
• Sense of ownership and pride in personal performance
• Adherence to all existing IYRS policies and procedures
Salary: $ 58,000 – $ 65,000 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com