Director of Major Gifts and Annual Giving
Director of Major Gifts and Annual Giving
Job Type Full-time
IYRS School of Technology & Trades is a non-profit, post-secondary experiential learning institution in Newport, Rhode Island. Our mission is to empower students through immersive, hands-on learning to realize their full potential in career and in life.
IYRS offers four certificate programs for people interested in careers in the marine trades and modern manufacturing. IYRS students are passionate about thinking and working through hands-on learning to develop skills and problem-solving abilities. IYRS was named a Best Maker School by Newsweek Magazine in 2021.
Primary functions and purpose of this position
The Major Gifts & Annual Giving Director is responsible for leadership in designing, implementing, and executing IYRS’s comprehensive annual giving program. These initiatives must reach and grow the school’s stakeholders, including trustees, industry partners, foundations, alumni, parents, and friends of IYRS. Supervising two staff, the development department is responsible for raising $1.75M - $2.25M per fiscal year across all annual giving efforts.
Donor Cultivation and Engagement - Advance the school's fundraising efforts by effectively managing relationships with donors and strategically engaging them to support the organization's mission.
- Cultivate and develop relationships with donors and collaborate with the President on strategies to build a pipeline of leadership-level donors.
- Manage the organization's donor pipeline, ensuring prospective donors are identified, cultivated, and solicited effectively.
- Cultivate new donors through personal visits as well as, when appropriate, secure appointments for the President.
- Work closely with the President and other development staff on planning donor recognition, cultivation, and stewardship events and activities.
- Establish creditability and confidence with stakeholders.
- Assist with the identification and recruitment of volunteer leadership for the Annual Gala.
- Attend and contribute to signature engagement activities related to the fulfillment of departmental goals and objectives.
Annual Giving – Develop and manage the annual giving plan to maximize support and participation levels, as well as encourage renewal and upgrading of gifts.
- Create and monitor a variety of annual giving initiatives to maximize annual goals.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive annual fund strategy with quantifiable goals and objectives that aligns with the annual giving goals, showcase the school's impact, builds relationships with donors, and solicit contributions.
- Plan, manage, and execute the IYRS’s annual fund campaign including all aspects of the direct mail, digital marketing, and personal solicitation as required to secure unrestricted operating support from trustees, industry partners, foundations, alumni, parents, and friends.
- Identify, grow, and manage foundation gift requests and grant applications.
- Conceptualizes themes for appeals, messaging, and content of printed materials, and verbal scripts.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Program teams to strategically include annual fund messaging, stories, ads, updates, and results in school-wide communications and platforms.
- Develop measurable goals and metrics to routinely monitor the impact of annual giving activities on the success of donor acquisition and retention.
- Establish and maintain tracking and testing methods for all solicitation initiatives and adjust strategies based on the results of data analysis.
- Oversee the recording, acknowledgment, and receipt of all gifts.
- Prepare and monitor departmental budget to yearly goals, both revenue and expenses.
Essential KSOC’s (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to represent the school with professionalism and knowledge.
- Ability to anticipate and effectively handle change; demonstrate willingness to try new skills and challenging tasks; and is flexible in changing conditions.
- Capable of communicating effectively with high-level internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work in and lead in a team environment.
- Highly organized with attention to detail and follow-through.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree
- 7 years of successful work experience as a fundraising professional with a minimum of 5 years of experience managing staff and a budget.
- Proven ability to work independently and to execute a plan.
- Ability to effectively collaborate at all levels of the organization.
- The ability to use or develop planning and management tools, including project management, spreadsheets, and any other tools associated with event planning and execution among teams of supporting people.
- Ability to manage budgets, including reporting on progress to or in contrast of budget-expressed goals.
- Excellent oral and written skills
Each employee at IYRS is expected to demonstrate the following in the regular performance of his or her job duties:
- Participation in requisite safety training for staff and students.
- Commitment to the vision, mission, and values of IYRS
- Adherence to IYRS’s Code of Conduct
- A positive attitude and willingness to contribute productively to the success of the team and the organization.
- An understanding of and commitment to the IYRS’s core competencies of accountability, collaboration, communication, institutional values, and service.
- Active participation in efforts geared toward directing and improving the overall operations of IYRS, such as strategic planning, organizational development, and performance improvement.
- Commitment to acting as an advocate and ambassador for IYRS.
- Sense of ownership and pride in personal performance
- Adherence to all existing IYRS policies and procedures
Salary Range and Benefits
- Annual salary commensurate with experience
- Paid holidays, vacation, personal, and sick time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Health Reimbursement Account and/or Health Savings Account
- Retirement plan with company match
- Employee assistance program