About IYRS School of Technology & Trades
IYRS School of Technology & Trades is a non-profit, post-secondary trade school in Newport, Rhode Island. IYRS's mission is to empower students through immersive, hands-on learning to realize their full potential in career and in life.
IYRS offers accredited certificate programs which train students for hands-on careers in the marine trades and modern manufacturing. Newsweek Magazine named IYRS one of the Best Maker Schools in the world in 2021.
IYRS School of Technology & Trades is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) and is approved by the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education.
Job Title: Librarian (Part-Time)
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer & Director of Operations
Primary functions and purpose of this position:
The librarian of the Edward W. Kane and James Gubelmann IYRS Maritime Library ensures that the library is maintained according to American Library Association (ALA) standards and that the goals of the library are aligned with those of the school. The
librarian will reach out to the IYRS community and the community at large with the goal of expanding the library’s visibility and use as a resource.
• Welcome and work with the public, scholars, and researchers.
• Be responsible for preservation and display of the collection, and for processing donations of books and materials.
• Use both electronic and print resources to answer reference and research questions.
• Work with IYRS students to support their research and interests.
• Generate content about library news and its collections and holdings to be included in a quarterly electronic newsletter created by the marketing department.
• With the Library Committee Chair and IYRS President, create the agenda and goals for periodic Library Committee meetings.
• Prepare for and manage the annual holiday book sale and ad hoc sales.
• Be knowledgeable about and an advocate for IYRS’s educational programs.
Required KSAOC’s (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics)
• Natural curiosity and passion for personal growth
• Ability to self-start and work independently
• Exceptional communication skills via phone, email, and in-person
• Attention to detail and appreciation for well-organized data
• Proficiency in MS Office
• A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Preferred but not required:
• Familiarity with marine publications, maritime history, and the maritime world
• Knowledge of the OPALS open-source library management system
• Participation in required school events, training, and professional development
• Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of IYRS
• Adherence to all policies and procedures in the Employee Handbook
$18.00 - $22.00 per hour (number of hours and days/times negotiable)
Paid sick time and employee assistance program
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.