Marine Systems Lead Instructor
IYRS Marine Systems Lead Instructor
IYRS’s mission is to empower students through immersive, hands-on learning to realize their full potential in career and in life. Through its values of excellence, curiosity and risk taking, tradition and innovation, collaboration, community and inclusivity, and respect, honesty and trust, and hands-on learning methods, IYRS is a leading post-secondary experience. Importantly, the school has achieved extraordinarily high graduation and job placement rates for graduates across a broad range of industries – from marine trades to general manufacturing and design/innovation firms building next generation technology products. IYRS students are highly sought after to fill the needs in the marine industry.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Marine Systems Lead Instructor is responsible for all aspects of the delivery of the IYRS Marine Systems curriculum which encompasses electrical, electronics, systems, diesel and outboard engines, while modeling the work values, standards of craftsmanship and instruction that are at the core of IYRS’ mission.
To fulfill these responsibilities, the Lead Instructor will:
• Set up and maintain the shop’s equipment, tools and materials inventory
• Deliver the Marine Systems curriculum with primary responsibility for lectures and demonstrations
• Prepare students for and proctor ABYC, NMEA and any other industry certification exams
• Continually improve and enhance the curriculum and all instruction materials, syllabi, course outlines and schedules
• Maintain the MS shop/lab and its equipment to highest industry standards for cleanliness and safety.
• Uphold all IYRS Shop Safety Standards as described in the IYRS Safety Manual
• Uphold and enforce all policies as described in the IYRS Student Handbook particularly with regard to behavior and attendance
• Work with the Program Manager to ensure all materials are ordered and on-hand when needed
• Work with the Director of Education, the Program Advisory Committee and other industry contacts to continually evaluate and maintain the quality of the curriculum and its delivery.
• Work with the Career Development Manager to set up field trips and guest speakers to enhance the curriculum
• Work with the Career Development Manager to counsel students in the development of externship and employment opportunities
• Work with the Program Manager to evaluate and grade student learning outcomes through participation, practical and theoretical exams and industry certification exams
• Work with the Director of Education and CFO to develop, and work within, an annual program budget
• Represent and promote IYRS at trade shows and other events as deemed necessary
• Participate in school functions, staff meetings and professional development opportunities
• Perform other tasks as assigned
Required Skills and Experience
• Minimum 6 years of education, training and\or occupational experience in marine/yacht systems, installation and education delivery;
• Up to date knowledge in marine systems standards and techniques;
• Must acquire/maintain ABYC and NMEA certifications;
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, and the general public;
• Ability to work in and lead in a team environment, and;
• Ability to handle the daily physical / lifting demands
This is a non-exempt, salaried position that reports to the Director of Education.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.