Each of IYRS' five accredited programs incorporate externships as a critical component of a student’s study plan. As an experiential learning school, we believe that externships are a critical component in preparing graduates for successful careers. Companies who offer externships to IYRS students agree, as many of our placements have led to full-time job offers, making hosting a student a worthwhile long-term investment for employers. To learn more about hiring IYRS students, please contact Career Development Manager Jen Iacovelli at 401.848.5777 x209.
EXTERNSHIP DETAILS & EXPECTATIONS
• The externship is fulfilled at your facilities and under your supervision.
• The experience is typically 4-5 weeks in length and should be a normal work week expected of your employees.
• Work assignments should be aligned with the abilities and knowledge of the student and not place the student in unsupervised circumstances.
• IYRS will provide information about any legal questions you have.
• Students in Marine Systems, Composites Technology, and the Combined Program go on externship in February and August and are required to complete 140 hours at your facility.
• Students in the Boatbuilding & Restoration program go on externship in June and are required to complete 175 hours at your facility.
• Students in the Digital Modeling & Fabrication program go on externship in April and are required to complete 150 hours at your facility.
In today’s job market, externships have become increasingly beneficial to both job applicants and employers. The payoff for both is invaluable, allowing students to apply what they have learned in the classroom and the shop or lab while supporting the employer.
BENEFITS TO EMPLOYERS
• Better screening of potential employees prior to a full-time commitment
• Lower turnover among interns later hired as employees
• Reduced overall training cost
• A more qualified pool of future applicants when peak needs demand quick response
• Enthusiastic potential employees who bring energy and often greater commitment
• Acts as both a feeder and an important part of your staffing plan
• IYRS students are well trained in teamwork and can add value to your current team-based projects